- Chakra is a from the Hindu language, called Sanskrit, meaning “wheel” or “disk” which is derived from the root word “cakra.” Chakras are spinning wheels of light and energy. Chakras are responsible for taking in, fusing and giving off energy to keep us functioning at our best. Chakras are the energy centers of the body.
- Since the body is made up of oscillating atoms, then the body is really energy. Our emotions, thoughts, spiritual connections are also energy. When our energy is not in sync or working the way it should, we become ill. The chakras are called this because they spin. ‘Chakra’ means wheel
- The 7 Major Chakras:There are 7 major chakras which align up the spine called the Sushumna channel. There are also other minor chakras in the soles of the feet, palms of the hands and smaller centres all over the body called nadis, which are also points for acupuncture and healing.
1. Mooladhara (Root Chakra) – This is connected with survival and wealth, manifestation and abundance. It is the base chakra and connects us to the earth. It is between the legs on the trunk of the body. It is Red in color!
2. Swadhistana (Sacral Chakra) – This manages our relationships in all forms. It is about feeling supported and safe in the universe. When it is not in sync, we are emotionally anxious, and cling for support. It is about 3″ below the naval. It is Orange in color!
3. Manipura (Solar Plexus Chakra) – This is in the stomach. It influences goal setting, manifestation, and the creation of your world. If it is out of balance, we feel angry, frustrated and irritated. Often this is because we lack a means of expression. It is Yellow in color!
4. Anahata (Heart Chakra) – This is about love in all forms – unconditional love and passion. When we are in sync, it opens like the petals of a beautiful flower. The human ideal is for our head (intellect) to be in tune with our heart (love) and connected to our passion (sexuality). This is not easy to achieve. It is Green in color!
5. Vishuddhiis (Throat Chakra ) – The throat chakra and given its position and the fact one way we communicate is by speech it is pretty logical it is about communication and achievement of goals. When it is not in sync we are in confusion, face obstacles, mistrust our judgment and criticize too easily. It is Blue in color!
6. Ajna (Third Eye Chakra) – This is where we also come to know our core goals and work to them. When it is not in sync we have no idea about our direction, feel there is no meaning in life and lack belonging, purpose and connection to humanity. It also manages our organizational ability regarding our lives. It is Indigo in color!
7. Sahasra (Crown Chakra) – It is about connection spiritually with the universe. When it is in perfect balance, an individual is said to become enlightened. This means they reach their full potential on all levels – spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. This is by no means an easy feat which is why enlightenment is the pinnacle of Eastern spiritual tradition. It is Violet in color!